THE IMPORTANCE OF IMPROVING POSTURE
Have you ever caught your own reflection in a window or mirror and been shocked by how ‘rounded over’ you look? Are you constantly plagued by back or neck pain? – YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Every day millions of Americans suffer from any number of health problems – problems that begin with poor posture.
Posture affects how you look, how you feel and how others perceive you.
LOOK 10 POUNDS THINNER: Slouching (when upper back slumps forward) causes rib cage to press down on internal organs causing midsection to widen and belly to protrude further.Simply by standing straighter, basically, lifting the front of the rib cage up, can instantly take an inch or two off your midsection measurement.
LOOK 10 YEARS YOUNGER: Posture affects perceptions of age.Nothing ages you faster than a shrinking, stooped posture – vulture head posture.A strong, upright spine signifies youth and vigor.Improving posture can actually help you regain some ‘lost height’.
RID YOURSELF OF BACK AND NECK PAIN/DISCOMFORT: The #1 cause of back and neck pain is poor posture.Poor alignment means your joints no longer fit together or work together the way they were meant.Improving posture can prevent a lifetime of annoying and painful back and neck problems. Poor posture puts uneven pressures on spine and joints and causes some muscles to overwork while others get weaker and weaker.
RADIATE CONFIDENCE, STRENGTH & VITALITY: Consciously or not, we tell the world a lot about our mental and emotional state by the way we stand, sit and move through the world. Studies have shown good posture exudes health, vitality, and confidence while poor posture signals insecurity, weakness and self-doubt.
THE GOOD NEWS: No matter how bad you think your posture is or how long you’ve had poor posture, IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO IMPROVE ALIGNMENT and enjoy the benefits.
POSTURE AFFECTS HOW YOU LOOK AND FEEL ON A DAILY BASIS.
- What are some of the major causes of poor posture?
- How difficult is it to improve posture – even long-term bad posture?
- What are some of the major causes of poor posture?
- How can improving your posture make you look 10 pounds thinner?
- How does slumping immediately widen the waistline by 2-3 inches?
- How do you fix this?
- How can improving your posture make you look ten year younger?
- What affect does posture have on back, neck and joint pain?
- How do you eliminate back and neck pain by improving posture?
- How does posture affect your overall health?
- How does improving posture improve circulation, breathing & digestion?
BACK PAIN CAN BE A PAIN IN THE COMPANY WALLET!
THE MOST COMMON CAUSE OF MISSED WORK IS BACK/NECK PAIN
Some statistics from the National Institute of Health:
- POOR POSTURE IS THE #1 CAUSE OF BACK AND NECK PROBLEMS.
- Thirty million Americans have lower back pain at any given time.
- Ninety percent of all back problems are due to poor posture.
- Back pain is the second most common cause of work days missed due to illness
- Back pain is the most common disability in the U.S.
- The cost of back pain is estimated at a staggering fifty billion dollars yearly.
WHAT IMAGE OF YOURSELF DO YOU WANT TO CONVEY TO THE WORLD?
Research shows that consciously or not, your posture conveys a lot of information about your mental and emotional state to the world around you.
- What does a slumping posture convey?
- What info does good posture convey?
THE ABC’S OF AVOIDING ‘TECH NECK’ AND OTHER DISCOMFORTS
- What is ‘Tech Neck’?
- How do we avoid the painful consequences of using SmartPhones and other modern technologies?
- We have become a nation of professional sitters. What problems has this caused?
- What are three easy things people can do to lesson/eliminate discomfort from sitting?
- How do we prevent carpel tunnel syndrome?
- Using a laptop is the source of much pain and discomfort for many. Do you have any tips for using a laptop more comfortably?
- Is there a simple exercise people could do sitting at their desk?
- How does the chair you sit in affect posture?
- What kind of office/computer chair should I use to help my posture?
- What is an ergonomically correct chair?How can you work with what you have?
- Home offices are abundant these days. How can I arrange my home office workstation?
- Tips for maximum back/posture comfort?
TRAVEL TIPS for Back Comfort: PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES
- How can you car be causing your back problem?
- Airplane seats are notoriously uncomfortable. What can I do to help myself?
- Good body mechanics when traveling is a necessity. Can you share some info on:
- Travel tips for planes and trains
- How to make plane and train seats better for posture
- Travel exercises for your fee/ankles/torso/shoulders/neck
- Luggage lifting tips
- How to adjust a car seat
- Red light exercises
POSTURE AND CHILDREN
- What are some of the major causes of poor posture in our children? (computer generation, computer games, heavy back packs, inactivity, etc.).
- What are a few simple things kids can do to counter-act these forces?
- What can we do to help our children?
- At what age should we become aware of posture.
- What can a parent do to help a child with slumping shoulders, aching back, etc
GOOD POSTURE AND SPORTS AND EXERCISE
Janice can speak to all of these topics:
- Posture & Biking
- Posture & Golf: good golfing posture tips
- Posture & Tennis
- Posture & Running
- Posture & Weight Lifting
- Posture & Walking
GOOD POSTURE FOR HOBBIES AND CRAFTING
- What are the typical mechanical problems that crafters face?
- Correct sitting posture
- Chair Hints
- Recommended exercises for crafters
- Tips for less tension
EATING FOR STRONGER MUSCLES AND BONES
- Health choices
- Most important minerals
- Potassium for strong muscles
- Reducing sodium
- The most absorbable forms of magnesium
- The most absorbable forms of calcium
- Signs of a good multivitamin & mineral supplement
- Phytochemical color chart
GOOD POSTURE CAN ELIMINATE THE NEW BABY BACKACHE BLUES
- What happens to your posture when pregnant; post partum?
- What are the most common prenatal/postnatal posture pitfalls?
- During pregnancy, your abdominals stretch to twice their original length. Can we ever get them back to pre-pregnancy status?
- How to efficiently re-strengthen all 4 layers of abdominal muscles?
- Will I ever get my waistline back? How?
- How should I lift, carry, bath, feed, place in crib, place in car seats so I don’t hurt my back?
OSTEOPOROSIS AND POSTURE
- Twenty five million Americans have osteoporosis
- Thirty four million Americans have bone density low enough to put them at risk for fractures.
- Fifty percent of women over sixty five have osteoporosis
- Eighteen percent of women age twenty five to thirty four already have low bone density
- How do I re-gain bone density?
- Can working on my posture STOP the rounding over that occurs as we age?
- Is it possible to re-gain lost height?
- What are three things I can do right now to help my bones and my posture?
- What are the latest research findings on: nutrition; weight bearing exercise, calcium/magnesium/vitamin D supplementation?
I have many HELPFUL HINTS on many different posture topics.